Thesaurus for language
- linguistic communication, speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, voice communication, oral communication, lyric, words, linguistic process, terminology, nomenclature, auditory communication, communication, faculty, higher cognitive process, mental faculty, module, text, textual matter, word
Pronunciation of language: L AE1 NG G W AH0 JH ('læŋgwɪdʒ)
Number of syllables of language: 2
Pronunciation Video of language
Definition of language
- (n): the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- (n): the cognitive processes involved in producing and understanding linguistic communication; "he didn''t have the language to express his feelings"
- (n): a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols; "he taught foreign languages"; "the language introduced is standard throughout the text"; "the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it
- (n): a system of words used in a particular discipline; "legal terminology"; "the language of sociology"
- (n): the text of a popular song or musical-comedy number; "his compositions always started with the lyrics"; "he wrote both words and music"; "the song uses colloquial language"
- (n): (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
Examples of language
- Many were new to the country and unfamiliar with the customs and language.
- The word aloha means hello in Hawaiian language.
- Do you understand the nuances of the English language
- The abbreviation LUS is the word for louse in the Danish language.
- None of the three know the language of the country.
- The word Kamut stems from the ancient hieroglyphic language meaning wheat.
- Each bulletin is in the language and format of the country of origin.
- Vulgarity is the ugliest word in our language.
- The cognate word in the Hawaiian language culture is kapu.
- The word Bastard and Basta exist in the English language.