Thesaurus for lie
Definition of lie
- (n): Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United Nations (1896-1968)
- (v): tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive; "Don''t lie to your parents"; "She lied when she told me she was only 29"
- (v): be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position; "The sick man lay in bed all day"; "the books are lying on the shelf"
- (v): assume a reclining position; "lie down on the bed until you feel better"
- (v): originate (in); "The problems dwell in the social injustices in this country"
- (v): be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- (v): have a place in relation to something else; "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- (v): be and remain in a particular state or condition; "lie dormant"