Thesaurus for material
Pronunciation of material: M AH0 T IH1 R IY0 AH0 L (mə'tiriəl)
Number of syllables of material: 4
Pronunciation Video of material
Definition of material
- (n): artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers; "the fabric in the curtains was light and semitraqnsparent"; "woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"; "she measured off enough material for a dress"
- (n): things needed for doing or making something; "writing materials"; "useful teaching materials"
- (n): information (data or ideas or observations) that can be used or reworked into a finished form; "the archives provided rich material for a definitive biography"
- (n): a person judged suitable for admission or employment; "he was university material"; "she was vice-presidential material"
- (n): the tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object; "coal is a hard black material"; "wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
- (a): having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; "the substantial world"; "a mere dream, neither substantial nor practical"; "most ponderous and substantial things"- Shakespeare
- (a): derived from or composed of matter; "the material universe"
- (a): having material or physical form or substance; "that which is created is of necessity corporeal and visible and tangible" - Benjamin Jowett
- (a): directly relevant to a matter especially a law case; "his support made a material difference"; "evidence material to the issue at hand"; "facts likely to influence the judgment are called material facts"; "a material witness"
- (s): concerned with or affecting physical as distinct from intellectual or psychological well-being; "material needs"; "the moral and material welfare of all good citizens"- T.Roosevelt
- (s): concerned with worldly rather than spiritual interests; "material possessions"; "material wealth"; "material comforts"
Examples of material
- I also object to the blanket removal of all the material.
- The material was widely interspersed.
- It forms the substratum of all material in a non material way.
- In use, the chisel is forced into the material to cut the material.
- The material is extremely hydrophobic.
- What rended the material
- The material became deliquescent.
- Keep the riot material and also the race material on the Boulder pages
- The material debilitated the men.
- The chemical material was palpable.