Thesaurus for meet
- meet, run into, encounter, run across, come across, see, get together, converge, satisfy, fill, fulfill, fulfil, fit, conform to, match, cope with, gather, assemble, forgather, foregather, play, take on, receive, suffer, touch, adjoin, contact, agree, cater, check, contend, cope, correspond, deal, experience, get by, gibe, go through, grapple, have, interact, jibe, make do, make out, manage, ply, provide, supply, tally, undergo
Pronunciation Video of meet
Definition of meet
- (n): a meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held
- (v): contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle; "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary"
- (v): fill or meet a want or need
- (v): be in direct physical contact with; make contact; "The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point"
- (v): meet by design; be present at the arrival of; "Can you meet me at the train station?"
- (v): come together; "I''ll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!"
- (v): undergo or suffer; "meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate"
- (v): collect in one place; "We assembled in the church basement"; "Let''s gather in the dining room"
- (v): get together socially or for a specific purpose
- (v): satisfy or fulfill; "meet a need"; "this job doesn''t match my dreams"
- (v): get to know; get acquainted with; "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
- (v): satisfy a condition or restriction; "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
- (v): be adjacent or come together; "The lines converge at this point"
- (v): experience as a reaction; "My proposal met with much opposition"
- (s): being precisely fitting and right; "it is only meet that she should be seated first"