Thesaurus for name
- call, identify, nominate, make, appoint, constitute, mention, advert, bring up, cite, refer, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, list, diagnose, analyse, analyze, canvas, canvass, charge, denote, determine, enumerate, establish, examine, fix, found, have in mind, institute, itemise, itemize, label, limit, mean, plant, recite, set, specify, study, think of
Pronunciation of name: N EY1 M (neɪm)
Number of syllables of name: 1
Pronunciation Video of name
Definition of name
- (n): by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- (n): a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- (n): a defamatory or abusive word or phrase; "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me"
- (n): family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- (n): a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- (n): a person''s reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
- (v): determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- (v): identify as in botany or biology, for example
- (v): give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- (v): mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- (v): make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- (v): give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- (v): assign a specified, proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- (v): create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
- (v): charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
Examples of name
- The title is supposed to reflect the name of the subject.
- The list is sorted by the name.
- Capitalize the last name in the title.
- The enhancement level is displayed to the right of the item name in brackets.
- The first item on the agenda was the name of the club.
- The name list has gone wild and unchecked.
- The English title is the appropriate name of the page.
- The name baronet is a diminutive of the peerage title baron.
- Yes, the name of the list is clumsy.
- The name of the promotion is different from the name of the title.