Pronunciation of number: N AH1 M B ER0 ('nəmbər)
Number of syllables of number: 2
Definition of number
- (n): an item of merchandise offered for sale; "she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
- (n): a clothing measurement; "a number 13 shoe"
- (n): the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals; "he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small"; "the figure was about a thousand"
- (n): the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural); "in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- (n): a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification; "she refused to give them her Social Security number"
- (n): the number is used in calling a particular telephone; "he has an unlisted number"
- (n): one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist''s waitingroom"
- (n): a symbol used to represent a number; "he learned to write the numerals before he went to school"
- (n): a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program; "he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
- (n): a select company of people; "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- (n): a concept of quantity derived from zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- (v): place a limit on the number of
- (v): enumerate; "We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
- (v): determine the number or amount of; "Can you count the books on your shelf?"; "Count your change"
- (v): give numbers to; "You should number the pages of the thesis"
- (v): add up in number or quantity; "The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
- (v): put into a group; "The academy counts several Nobel Prize winners among its members"
Examples of number
- The number of rays in the brooches varies between five and twelve.
- The squawk code is a four digit octal number.
- The pentad was a Pythagorean term for the number five.
- The number of SRAMs depended on the amount of cache.
- The number of the krisnitorya is impair, usually between five and eleven.
- Nelonen, in Finnish, means the glyph of the number four.
- The amount per blob increases in increments determined on the number of tricks.
- The reverse of number four is the actually the same.
- Basic Chromosome Number of Four in the Subfamily Panicoideae of the Gramineae.
- Subtract the smaller number from the bigger number.