Thesaurus for nurse
Pronunciation of nurse: N ER1 S
Number of syllables of nurse: 1
Pronunciation Video of nurse
Definition of nurse
- (n): a woman who is the custodian of children
- (n): one skilled in caring for young children or the sick (usually under the supervision of a physician)
- (v): try to cure by special care of treatment, of an illness or injury; "He nursed his cold with Chinese herbs"
- (v): give suck to; "The wetnurse suckled the infant"; "You cannot nurse your baby in public in some places"
- (v): maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings); "bear a grudge"; "entertain interesting notions"; "harbor a resentment"
- (v): treat carefully; "He nursed his injured back by liyng in bed several hours every afternoon"; "He nursed the flowers in his garden and fertilized them regularly"
- (v): serve as a nurse; care for sick or handicapped people