- portion, component part, component, piece, region, function, office, role, character, theatrical role, persona, share, percentage, section, division, parting, voice, contribution, air, assets, attempt, characterization, concept, conception, concern, construct, duty, effort, enactment, endeavor, endeavour, line, location, melodic line, melodic phrase, melody, object, personation, physical object, portrayal, relation, strain, thing, try, tune
- (n): the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- (n): any one of a number of individual efforts in a common endeavor; "I am proud of my contribution to the team''s success"; "they all did their share of the work"
- (n): something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- (n): a line where the hair is parted; "his part was right in the middle"
- (n): so far as concerns the actor specified; "it requires vigilance on our part" or "they resisted every effort on his part";
- (n): one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC''s engineering division"
- (n): an actor''s portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
- (n): the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
- (n): the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
- (n): a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
- (n): assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
- (n): something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"
- (v): force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
- (v): come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- (v): leave; "The family took off for Florida"
- (v): go one''s own away; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- (v): discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- (r): in part; in some degree; not wholly; "I felt partly to blame"; "He was partially paralyzed"