Pronunciation of part: P AA1 R T (pɑrt)
Number of syllables of part: 1
Definition of part
- (n): the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- (n): any one of a number of individual efforts in a common endeavor; "I am proud of my contribution to the team''s success"; "they all did their share of the work"
- (n): something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- (n): a line where the hair is parted; "his part was right in the middle"
- (n): so far as concerns the actor specified; "it requires vigilance on our part" or "they resisted every effort on his part";
- (n): one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC''s engineering division"
- (n): an actor''s portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
- (n): the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
- (n): the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
- (n): a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
- (n): assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
- (n): something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"
- (v): force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
- (v): come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- (v): leave; "The family took off for Florida"
- (v): go one''s own away; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- (v): discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- (r): in part; in some degree; not wholly; "I felt partly to blame"; "He was partially paralyzed"
Examples of part
- It is a part of the historical section in vaccination.
- The most intact part of the rim is the southeastern section.
- Texas is part of the Tornado Alley section.
- The pertinent part is the last half of the last sentence.
- Are the harp and piano part of the string section
- The Indian section is part of the ambitious Golden Quadrilateral project.
- The first half is decent but the second part is mediocre.
- Texas is part of the Tornado Alley section of the country.
- The rebuttal part of the criticism section looks fine.
- This section will only focus on the externalizing part.