Thesaurus for permit
Definition of permit
- (n): the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- (n): large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies
- (n): a legal document giving official permission to do something
- (v): consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won''t let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- (v): allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting; "We don''t allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
- (v): make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won''t allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"