Definition of position
- (n): the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
- (n): a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
- (n): the function or position properly or customarily occupied or served by another; "can you go in my stead?"; "took his place"; "in lieu of"
- (n): (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
- (n): the act of putting something in a certain place or location
- (n): the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated; "the position of the hands on the clock"; "he specified the spatial relations of every piece of furniture on the stage"
- (n): position or arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
- (n): a rationalized mental attitude
- (n): a way of regarding situations or topics etc.; "consider what follows from the positivist view"
- (n): an item on a list or in a sequence; "in the second place"; "moved from third to fifth position"
- (n): an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question"
- (n): the particular portion of space occupied by a physical object; "he put the lamp back in its place"
- (n): the appropriate or customary location; "the cars were in position"
- (n): a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
- (n): a condition or position in which you find yourself; "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
- (n): the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society; "he had the status of a minor"; "the novel attained the status of a classic"; "atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life"
- (v): put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- (v): cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
Thesaurus for position
- place, military position, view, perspective, posture, attitude, status, post, berth, office, spot, billet, situation, spatial relation, placement, location, locating, positioning, emplacement, stance, side, stead, lieu, activity, assumption, bodily property, business, condition, function, item, job, line, line of work, mental attitude, occupation, opinion, orientation, part, point, relation, role, state
Pronunciation Video of position