Thesaurus for power
- powerfulness, ability, office, force, exponent, index, might, mightiness, world power, major power, great power, superpower, baron, big businessman, business leader, king, magnate, mogul, top executive, tycoon, body politic, businessman, causal agency, causal agent, cause, cognition, commonwealth, country, knowledge, land, man of affairs, mathematical notation, nation, noesis, physical phenomenon, quality, res publica, state, strength
Pronunciation of power: P AW1 ER0 ('paʊər)
Number of syllables of power: 2
Pronunciation Video of power
Definition of power
- (n): physical strength
- (n): possession of controlling influence; "the deterrent power of nuclear weapons"; "the power of his love saved her"; "his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
- (n): possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
- (n): a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- (n): a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
- (n): a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"
- (n): one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power"; "may the force be with you"; "the forces of evil"
- (n): (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
- (n): (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
- (v): supply the force or power for the functioning of; "The gasoline powers the engines"
Examples of power
- She has the power of quintessence and absolute energy.
- The forefinger, throughout history, has represented authority and power.
- To calculate the energy, you multiply the power by the time.
- The discus and the mace symbolize dynamic power, energy and prowess.
- The power of the central authority passed into the hands of the generals.
- In 1854, the British authority obtained the power of customs in the concession.
- The power plant produced energy and calorific power.
- To find the energy, you multiply the power by the time.
- The power of the rational legal authority is mentioned in the constitution.
- This includes the power of arrest and the authority to carry firearms.