Thesaurus for purchase
Pronunciation of purchase: P ER1 CH AH0 S ('pɜrʧəs)
Number of syllables of purchase: 2
Pronunciation Video of purchase
Definition of purchase
- (n): the acquisition of something for payment; "they closed the purchase with a handshake"
- (n): a means of exerting influence or gaining advantage; "he could get no purchase on the situation"
- (n): the mechanical advantage gained by being in a position to use a lever
- (n): something acquired by purchase
- (v): obtain by purchase; acquire by means of a financial transaction; "The family purchased a new car"; "The conglomerate acquired a new company"; "She buys for the big department store"
Examples of purchase
- The purchase of the mill property was highly irregular.
- The purchase caused slight discord amongst the community.
- Critics expressed concern about the propriety of the purchase.
- The purchase was for protecting the Sir.
- Crouch became president of the company upon the purchase.
- The Fair celebrated the centennial of the Louisiana Purchase.
- She is going to purchase prunes for her grandma.
- Brown used the money to purchase the Buffalo Braves of the NBA.
- Calibre was acquired as part of the purchase of Wachovia.
- Does the Wikipedia subsidize my bathrobe purchase