Thesaurus for reach
- reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain, reach out, get through, get hold of, contact, achieve, accomplish, extend to, touch, get to, progress to, pass, hand, pass on, turn over, give, strive, strain, arrive, be, bring home the bacon, come, come through, communicate, deliver the goods, drive, get, intercommunicate, labor, labour, move, push, succeed, transfer, tug, win
- related terms
Definition of reach
- (n): the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
- (n): an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in t
- (n): the limit of capability; "within the compass of education"
- (n): the limits within which something can be effective; "range of motion"; "he was beyond the reach of their fire"
- (v): be in or establish communication with; "Our advertisements reach millions"; "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
- (v): to exert much effort or energy; "straining our ears to hear"
- (v): move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense; "Government reaches out to the people"
- (v): reach a point in time, or a certain state or level; "The thermometer hit 100 degrees"; "This car can reach a speed of 140 miles per hour"
- (v): reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
- (v): reach a goal, e.g., "make the first team"; "We made it!"; "She may not make the grade"
- (v): place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
- (v): to gain with effort; "she achieved her goal despite setbacks"
- (v): to extend as far as; "The sunlight reached the wall"; "Can he reach?" "The chair must not touch the wall"