Thesaurus for refuse
Pronunciation of refuse: R AH0 F Y UW1 Z (rɪ'fjuz)
Number of syllables of refuse: 2
Pronunciation Video of refuse
Definition of refuse
- (n): food that is discarded (as from a kitchen)
- (v): show unwillingness towards; "he declined to join the group on a hike"
- (v): refuse to let have; "She denies me every pleasure"; "he denies her her weekly allowance"
- (v): refuse to accept; "He refused my offer of hospitality"
- (v): refuse entrance or membership; "They turned away hundreds of fans"; "Black people were often rejected by country clubs"
- (v): elude, especially in a baffling way; "This behavior defies explanation"
- (v): resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ; "His body rejected the liver of the donor"
Examples of refuse
- The movie impresario made Chris an offer he could not refuse.
- Hadrian realized that the Caledonians would refuse to coexist with the Romans.
- The prisoners refuse the attention of a chaplain.
- In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
- It was impolitic to refuse his request.
- To simply refuse the attempt seems unwise and unnecessary.
- Some of the eccentric menagerie refuse to talk.
- Is it more humane to refuse to portray the inhumane accurately
- One of the ways to refuse this is to serve watermelon.
- They were told to refuse orders to mistreat the detainees.