Thesaurus for relieve
- alleviate, palliate, assuage, take over, exempt, free, still, allay, ease, salvage, salve, save, unbosom, remedy, excuse, let off, lighten, absolve, ameliorate, amend, better, care for, comfort, confide, console, deliver, discharge, disembarrass, improve, justify, meliorate, mitigate, rescue, rid, solace, soothe, take, treat
Pronunciation of relieve: R IH0 L IY1 V (rɪ'liv)
Number of syllables of relieve: 2
Pronunciation Video of relieve
Definition of relieve
- (v): provide physical relief, as from pain; "This pill will relieve your headaches"
- (v): provide relief for; "remedy his illness"
- (v): alleviate or remove; "relieve the pressure and the stress"
- (v): grant exemption or release to; "Please excuse me from this class"
- (v): relieve oneself of troubling information
- (v): lessen the intensity of or calm; "The news eased my conscience"; "still the fears"
- (v): take by stealing; "The thief relieved me of $100"
- (v): free from a burden, evil, or distress
- (v): free someone temporarily from his or her obligations
- (v): save from ruin, destruction, or harm
- (v): grant relief or an exemption from a rule or requirement to; "She exempted me from the exam"
Examples of relieve
- The doctors correctly prescribed medication to relieve the spasm.
- Effleurage is used to relieve fatigue or to soothe the animal.
- The plant is used medicinally to relieve flatulence and stomach aches.
- A poultice is a common treatment used on horses to relieve inflammation.
- Pure white is to relieve anxiety and feelings of uneasiness.
- The seeds of lettuce have also been used to relieve pain.
- This will help relieve some of the itch.
- Antacids and simple analgesia do not usually relieve the pain.
- When it is applied to the skin, they soothe and relieve itching.
- They believe that this will relieve them of diseases and contagion.