Thesaurus for replace
Pronunciation of replace: R IY0 P L EY1 S (rɪ'pleɪs)
Number of syllables of replace: 2
Pronunciation Video of replace
Definition of replace
- (v): substitute a person or thing for (another that is broken or inefficient or lost or no longer working or yielding what is expected); "He replaced the old razor blade"; "We need to replace the secretary that left a month ago"; "the insurance will replace th
- (v): put something back where it belongs; "replace the book on the shelf after you have finished reading it"; "please put the clean dishes back in the cabinet when you have washed them"
- (v): put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items; "the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt"; "substitute regular milk with fat-free milk"
- (v): take the place or move into the position of; "Smith replaced Miller as CEO after Miller left"; "the computer has supplanted the slide rule"; "Mary replaced Susan as the team''s captain and the highest-ranked player in the school"
Examples of replace
- It will replace the roasted sirloin.
- In another embodiment, lacing may replace the connect straps.
- Commissioners will hire a professional headhunter to help replace.
- The alternative is to replace the entire wood window including jambs.
- Superbug was never designed to replace the F 14.
- The incident also motivated plans to replace the stadium.
- They kindly do not replace images with adulterated versions.
- The definite and demonstrative endings replace any final vowel.
- Replace the thermostat if necessary.
- The adventitious buds help to replace lost branches.