Thesaurus for reserve
- modesty, backlog, stockpile, substitute, second-stringer, reservation, military reserve, reticence, taciturnity, accumulation, administrative district, administrative division, armed forces, armed services, athlete, correctitude, indefinite quantity, jock, military, military machine, properness, propriety, territorial division, uncommunicativeness, war machine
Pronunciation of reserve: R IH0 Z ER1 V
Number of syllables of reserve: 2
Pronunciation Video of reserve
Definition of reserve
- (n): the trait of being uncommunicative; not volunteering anything more than necessary
- (n): formality and propriety of manner
- (n): armed forces that are not on active duty but can be called in an emergency
- (n): a district that is reserved for particular purpose
- (n): an athlete who plays only when another member of the team drops out
- (n): something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose
- (n): (medicine) potential capacity to respond in order to maintain vital functions
- (v): give or assign a share of money or time to a particular person or cause; "I will earmark this money for your research"
- (v): obtain or arrange (for oneself) in advance; "We managed to reserve a table at Maxim''s"
- (v): hold back or set aside, especially for future use or contingency; "they held back their applause in anticipation"
- (v): arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance; "reserve me a seat on a flight"; "The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family"; "please hold a table at Maxim''s"