Thesaurus for result
Pronunciation of result: R IH0 Z AH1 L T (rɪ'zəltəɪv)
Number of syllables of result: 2
Pronunciation Video of result
Definition of result
- (n): the semantic role of the noun phrase whose referent exists only by virtue of the activity denoted by the verb in the clause
- (n): a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
- (n): something that results; "he listened for the results on the radio"
- (n): a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
- (v): issue or terminate (in a specified way, state, etc.); end; "result in tragedy"
- (v): result in; "The water left a mark on the silk dress"; "Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
Examples of result
- The result disconcerted the people.
- The result of that is the output of the round function.
- It's such a gratifying result.
- The result has been a steady increase in the energy output of the Sun.
- The result reflects the water content of the sample and the standard solution.
- A result of the unstable cavity is a hole in the centre of the output beam.
- The process may result liquification.
- The result was embarrassed silence.
- The result was the production of small droplets of liquid oxygen.
- The cardiac output changes as result of the stroke volume and heart rate.