Pronunciation of root: R UW1 T (rut)
Number of syllables of root: 1
Definition of root
- (n): the part of a tooth that is embedded in the jaw and serves as support
- (n): (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
- (n): a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- (n): the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
- (n): the place where something begins, where it springs into being; "the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism''s Russian root"
- (n): someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- (n): (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- (n): a number that when multiplied by itself some number of times equals a given number
- (v): take root and begin to grow; "this plant roots quickly"
- (v): cause to take roots
- (v): become settled or established and stable in one''s residence or life style; "He finally settled down"
- (v): take sides with; align oneself with; show strong sympathy for; "We all rooted for the home team"; "I''m pulling for the underdog"; "Are you siding with the defender of the title?"
- (v): dig with the snout; "the pig was rooting for truffles"
- (v): plant by the roots
- (v): come into existence, originate; "The problem roots in her depression"
Examples of root
- The root of this herb is medicinal.
- The main page is the root of the classification tree.
- The tree can regenerate from a piece of root left in the soil.
- In software design the tree is upside down with the root facing the sky.
- The root of the tree is the source of the broadcast.
- Cohesion, transpirational pull, capillarity, root pressure.
- The height of the root is the height of the tree.
- If harm comes to the root, the rest of the tree feels the effect.
- The root system is adventitious and the root type is fasciculated.
- But Ipbun rubs the root gently whispering.