Thesaurus for sacrifice
Definition of sacrifice
- (n): (sacrifice) an out that advances the base runners
- (n): the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.
- (n): the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
- (n): personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective)
- (n): a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value; "he had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
- (v): kill or destroy; "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"; "The general had to sacrifice several soldiers to save the regiment"
- (v): make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals
- (v): endure the loss of; "He gave his life for his children"; "I gave two sons to the war"
- (v): sell at a loss