Thesaurus for salute
Pronunciation of salute: S AH0 L UW1 T (sə'lut)
Number of syllables of salute: 2
Pronunciation Video of salute
Definition of salute
- (n): an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat
- (n): a formal military gesture of respect
- (n): an act of honor or courteous recognition; "a musical salute to the composer on his birthday"
- (v): express commendation of; "I salute your courage!"
- (v): greet in a friendly way; "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"
- (v): recognize with a gesture prescribed by a miltary regulation; assume a prescribed position; "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
- (v): honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers
- (v): propose a toast to; "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let''s drink to the New Year"
- (v): become noticeable; "a terrible stench saluted our nostrils"