Pronunciation of sentence: S EH1 N T AH0 N S ('sɛntəns)
Number of syllables of sentence: 2
Definition of sentence
- (n): (criminal law) a final judgment of guilty in a criminal case and the punishment that is imposed; "the conviction came as no surprise"
- (n): a string of words satisfying the grammatical rules of a language; "he always spoke in grammatical sentences"
- (n): the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned; "he served a prison term of 15 months"; "his sentence was 5 to 10 years"; "he is doing time in the county jail"
- (v): pronounce a sentence on (somebody) in a court of law; "He was condemned to ten years in prison"
Examples of sentence
- The sentences are too long, and the language is pompous.
- The introductory paragraph includes this sentence.
- The above sentence in the second paragraph needs corroboration.
- The introductory paragraph includes the sentence.
- The' was the first word in the sentence and was uncapitalized.
- The last sentence of the third paragraph is unfinished.
- The wording of the first sentence is funny.
- The first sentence in the paragraph is flatly false.
- The change to the second sentence renders the paragraph incoherent.
- Masterly simplification of the last sentence is of the opening paragraph.