Thesaurus for set
- exercise set, stage set, circle, band, lot, bent, hardening, solidifying, solidification, curing, Set, Seth, readiness, abstraction, accumulation, action, activity, aggregation, assemblage, cognitive state, collection, descent, disposition, Egyptian deity, electronic equipment, emplacement, exercise, exercising, inclination, locating, location, natural action, natural process, period of play, physical exercise, physical exertion, placement, play, playing period, position, positioning, representation, social group, state of mind, tendency, workout
- put, set, place, pose, position, lay, determine, specify, fix, limit, mark, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, localize, localise, go down, go under, arrange, plant, jell, congeal, typeset, countersink, sic, rig, lay out, adjust, correct, fructify, dress, do, coif, coiffe, coiffure, alter, approximate, assail, assault, attack, bury, change, choose, come down, compose, descend, displace, equip, establish, estimate, fall, fit, fit out, gauge, groom, guess, hone, impress, initiate, judge, lay down, make, modify, move, multiply, neaten, originate, outfit, pick out, present, print, procreate, represent, reproduce, select, set on, sink, solidify, stage, start, take, write
- related terms
Definition of set
- (n): evil beast-headed Egyptian god with high square ears and a long snout; brother and murderer of Osiris
- (n): the process of becoming hard or solid by cooling or drying or crystallization; "the hardening of concrete"; "he tested the set of the glue"
- (n): a unit of play in tennis or squash; "they played two sets of tennis after dinner"
- (v): arrange attractively; "dress my hair for the wedding"
- (v): bear fruit; "the apple trees fructify"
- (v): alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard; "Adjust the clock, please"; "correct the alignment of the front wheels"
- (v): set to a certain position or cause to operate correctly; "set clocks or instruments"
- (v): put into a certain state; cause to be in a certain state; "set the house afire"
- (v): make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
- (v): get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"
- (v): equip with sails, masts, etc.; "rig a ship"
- (v): become gelatinous; "the liquid jelled after we added the enzyme"
- (v): estimate; "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
- (v): fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"
- (v): decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
- (v): establish as the highest level or best performance; "set a record"
- (v): urge a dog to attack someone
- (v): give a fine, sharp edge to a knife or razor
- (v): put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- (v): insert (a nail or screw below the surface, as into a countersink)
- (v): put or set (seeds or seedlings) into the ground; "Let''s plant flowers in the garden"
- (v): fix in a border; "The goldsmith set the diamond"
- (v): put into a position that will restore a normal state; "set a broken bone"
- (v): apply or start; "set fire to a building"
- (v): adapt for performance in a different way; "set this poem to music"
- (v): locate; "The film is set in Africa"
- (v): disappear beyond the horizon; "the sun sets early these days"
- (s): converted to solid form (as concrete)
- (s): fixed and unmoving; "with eyes set in a fixed glassy stare"; "his bearded face already has a set hollow look"- Connor Cruise O''Brien; "a face rigid with pain"
- (s): set down according to a plan:"a carefully laid table with places set for four people"; "stones laid in a pattern"
- (s): situated in a particular spot or position; "valuable centrally located urban land"; "strategically placed artillery"; "a house set on a hilltop"; "nicely situated on a quiet riverbank"
- (s): determined or decided upon as by an authority; "date and place are already determined"; "the dictated terms of surrender"; "the time set for the launching"