Thesaurus for sire
Pronunciation of sire: S AY1 ER0 (saɪər)
Number of syllables of sire: 2
Pronunciation Video of sire
Definition of sire
- (n): male parent of an animal especially a domestic animal such as a horse
- (n): the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
- (n): a title of address formerly used for a man of rank and authority
- (v): make children; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "Men often father children but don''t recognize them"
Examples of sire
- The horse's sire line tracing to the foundation sire Maestoso.
- Sire of an American racing superstar.
- Determine proved to be a good sire.
- His legacy as a sire is outstanding.
- A sire of international influence.
- It should simply be the male donkey is the sire and the horse is the dam.
- He was also an outstanding broodmare sire.
- At the conclusion of the duet Hamlet enters and addresses Claudius as Sire.
- Scarlett's sire and dam are unknown.
- He was not successful as a sire.