- related terms
- similar terms
- auditory sensation, audio, phone, speech sound, strait, aesthesis, auditory communication, body of water, channel, esthesis, happening, language unit, linguistic unit, mechanical phenomenon, natural event, occurrence, occurrent, sensation, sense datum, sense experience, sense impression, sound property, water
- (n): the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause; "the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
- (n): the subjective sensation of hearing something; "he strained to hear the faint sounds"
- (n): the audible part of a transmitted signal; "they always raise the audio for commercials"
- (n): (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- (n): the sudden occurrence of an audible event; "the sound awakened them"
- (n): a large ocean inlet or deep bay; "the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
- (n): a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- (n): mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium; "falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
- (v): measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- (v): utter with vibrating vocal chords
- (v): appear in a certain way; "This sounds interesting"
- (v): give off a certain sound or sounds; "This record sounds scratchy"
- (v): make a certain noise or sound; "She went `Mmmmm''"; "The gun went `bang''"
- (v): cause to sound; "sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
- (v): announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
- (s): thorough; "a sound thrashing"
- (s): (of sleep) deep and complete; "a heavy sleep"; "fell into a profound sleep"; "a sound sleeper"; "deep wakeless sleep"
- (s): in excellent physical condition; "good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
- (s): exercising or showing good judgment; "healthy scepticism"; "a healthy fear of rattlesnakes"; "the healthy attitude of French laws"; "healthy relations between labor and management"; "an intelligent solution"; "a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advi
- (s): free from moral defect; "a man of sound character"
- (a): financially secure and safe; "sound investments"; "a sound economy"
- (a): in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay; "a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
- (s): having legal efficacy or force; "a sound title to the property"
- (s): reflects weight of sound argument or evidence; "a sound argument"
- (r): deeply or completely; "slept soundly through the storm"; "is sound asleep"