Thesaurus for specify
- stipulate, qualify, condition, set, determine, define, fix, limit, delineate, delimit, delimitate, particularize, particularise, specialize, specialise, pin down, peg down, nail down, narrow down, narrow, intend, destine, designate, assign, set apart, be, choose, contract, dilate, elaborate, enlarge, expand, expatiate, exposit, expound, flesh out, lucubrate, pick out, plan, select, take, undertake
Definition of specify
- (v): select something or someone for a specific purpose; "The teacher assigned him to lead his classmates in the exercise"
- (v): design or destine; "She was intended to become the director"
- (v): define clearly; "I cannot narrow down the rules for this game"
- (v): decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
- (v): specify as a condition or requirement in a contract or agreement; make an express demand or provision in an agreement; "The will stipulates that she can live in the house for the rest of her life"; "The contract stipulates the dates of the payments"
- (v): be specific about; "Could you please specify your criticism of my paper?"
- (v): determine the essential quality of