Thesaurus for speech
- address, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication, manner of speaking, delivery, lecture, talking to, actor's line, words, auditory communication, expressive style, faculty, line, mental faculty, module, rebuke, reprehension, reprimand, reproof, reproval, speaking, speech act, speech production, style, utterance, vocalization
Definition of speech
- (n): the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- (n): a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father''s idea of discipline"; "the teacher gave him a talking to"
- (n): words making up the dialogue of a play; "the actor forgot his speech"
- (n): your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally; "his manner of speaking was quite abrupt"; "her speech was barren of southernisms"; "I detected a slight accent in his speech"
- (n): (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
- (n): the exchange of spoken words; "they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
- (n): something spoken; "he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
- (n): the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"