Thesaurus for spell
Pronunciation of spell: S P EH1 L (spɛl)
Number of syllables of spell: 1
Pronunciation Video of spell
Definition of spell
- (n): a verbal formula believed to have magical force; "he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
- (n): a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
- (n): a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition; "he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
- (n): a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else); "it''s my go"; "a spell of work"
- (v): indicate or signify; "I''m afraid this spells trouble!"
- (v): recite the letters of or give the spelling of; "How do you spell this word?"
- (v): place under a spell
- (v): write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
Examples of spell
- The text of the articles spell hoax.
- The witch was anathermatized by the magical spell.
- How do you spell the word fruit'
- The actual name and incantation for this spell are unknown.
- How do you spell the word
- The princess is charmed by the spell.
- In the fifth book, the time spell starts to unravel.
- The magic spell potentiates the potion.
- In the fifth book, the time spell unravels.
- The ashram's peace and tranquillity can spell bound anyone.