Thesaurus for split
Pronunciation of split: S P L IH1 T (split)
Number of syllables of split: 1
Pronunciation Video of split
Definition of split
- (n): an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
- (n): an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings"
- (n): a lengthwise crack in wood; "he inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
- (n): a promised or claimed share of loot or money; "he demanded his split before they disbanded"
- (n): a bottle containing half the usual amount
- (v): break open or apart suddenly; "The bubble burst"
- (v): separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument; "cleave the bone"
- (v): go one''s own away; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- (v): discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- (v): separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
- (s): broken or burst apart longitudinally; "after the thunderstorm we found a tree with a split trunk"; "they tore big juicy chunks from the heart of the split watermelon"
- (s): (especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain; "we bought split logs for the fireplace"
- (s): having a long rip or tear; "a split lip"
- (s): having been divided; having the unity destroyed; "Congress...gave the impression of...a confusing sum of disconnected local forces"-Samuel Lubell; "a league of disunited nations"- E.B.White; "a fragmented coalition"; "a split group"
- (s): being divided or separated; "split between love and hate"
Examples of split
- The country was split into several prefectures.
- The point of the split is to separate the discussion of two distinct questions.
- Americans split on what to subtract.
- There was a split among the crowd.
- The landowner and sharecropper split the harvest.
- The expulsion split the college.
- They split the early primaries and caucuses.
- The carriage was of the split trail type.
- Friends said the split was amicable.
- The speech split the conference.