Thesaurus for state
- province, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic, state of matter, Department of State, United States Department of State, State Department, State, DoS, administrative district, administrative division, attribute, authorities, chemical phenomenon, emotional state, executive department, government, political entity, political unit, regime, spirit, territorial division
Pronunciation of state: S T EY1 T (steɪt)
Number of syllables of state: 1
Pronunciation Video of state
Definition of state
- (n): the federal department in the UnitedStates that sets and maintains foreign policies; "the Department of State was created in 1789"
- (n): a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation''s capitol"; "the country''s largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
- (n): the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state; "the state has lowered its income tax"
- (n): the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
- (n): the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation; "his state is in the deep south"
- (n): a state of depression or agitation; "he was in such a state you just couldn''t reason with him"
- (n): (chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container); "the solid state of water is called ice"
- (v): put before; "I submit to you that the accused is guilty"
- (v): express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- (v): indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.; "Can you express this distance in kilometers?"
Examples of state
- Jade is also the state gemstone of the State of Wyoming.
- The liability of the partners varies from state to state.
- What superciliousness for a state official to say something as demeaning of other religions as that.
- In its inactive state, the protein is in a hydrophobic state.
- This is the state of humiliation and the state of exaltation.
- The parole was granted on the condition that DuMond leave the state.
- Salience is the state or condition of being prominent.
- For that the unity of the State is the condition precedent.
- The mind is in state of over joyous condition.
- It works on the entry state , yielding the exit state.