- stress, tune, melody, air, melodic line, line, melodic phrase, mental strain, nervous strain, breed, stock, form, variant, var., tenor, striving, nisus, pains, straining, song, ancestry, animal group, attempt, deformation, derivation, difficulty, effort, elbow grease, endeavor, endeavour, exertion, filiation, harm, hurt, injury, lineage, meaning, music, nerves, nervousness, substance, sweat, taxon, taxonomic category, taxonomic group, trauma, travail, try, variety, vocal music
- related terms
- (n): the act of singing; "with a shout and a song they marched up to the gates"
- (n): an intense or violent exertion
- (n): an effortful attempt to attain a goal
- (n): a lineage or race of people
- (n): pervading note of an utterance; "I could follow the general tenor of his argument"
- (n): a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence; "she was humming an air from Beethoven"
- (n): a special variety of domesticated animals within a species; "he experimented on a particular breed of white rats"; "he created a new strain of sheep"
- (n): (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups; "a new strain of microorganisms"
- (n): (physics) deformation of a physical body under the action of applied forces
- (n): injury to a muscle (often caused by overuse); results in swelling and pain
- (n): (psychology) nervousness resulting from mental stress; "his responsibilities were a constant strain"; "the mental strain of staying alert hour after hour was too much for him"
- (n): difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension; "she endured the stresses and strains of life"; "he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger"- R.J.Samuelson
- (v): make tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious;
- (v): alter the shape of (something) by stress; "His body was deformed by leprosy"
- (v): to exert much effort or energy; "straining our ears to hear"
- (v): use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity; "He really extended himself when he climbed Kilimanjaro"; "Don''t strain your mind too much"
- (v): rub through a strainer or process in an electric blender; "puree the vegetables for the baby"
- (v): remove by passing through a filter; "filter out the impurities"
- (v): separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements; "sift the flour"
- (v): stretch or force to the limit; "strain the rope"
- (v): test the limits of; "You are trying my patience!"