Thesaurus for style
Pronunciation of style: S T AY1 L (staɪl)
Number of syllables of style: 1
Pronunciation Video of style
Definition of style
- (n): a slender bristlelike or tubular process; "a cartilaginous style"
- (n): a pointed tool for writing or drawing or engraving; "he drew the design on the stencil with a steel stylus"
- (n): distinctive and stylish elegance; "he wooed her with the confident dash of a cavalry officer"
- (n): how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion"
- (n): the popular taste at a given time; "leather is the latest vogue"; "he followed current trends"; "the 1920s had a style of their own"
- (n): a particular kind (as to appearance); "this style of shoe is in demand"
- (n): editorial directions to be followed in spelling and punctuation and capitalization and typographical display
- (n): a way of expressing something (in language or art or music etc.) that is characteristic of a particular person or group of people or period; "all the reporters were expected to adopt the style of the newspaper"
- (n): (botany) the narrow elongated part of the pistil between the ovary and the stigma
- (v): make consistent with certain rules of style; "style a manuscript"
- (v): designate by an identifying term; "They styled their nation `The Confederate States''"
- (v): make consistent with a certain fashion or style; "Style my hair"; "style the dress"
Examples of style
- Veterans vanquish Brent in fine style.
- Varying style may avoid monotony.
- Dag style isn't by necessity slovenly.
- For each style of salutation there is an accompanying style of valediction.
- A functionalist style pervades the house.
- The style in question is the impersonal concrete box modernist style.
- For each style of salutation, there is an accompanying style of valediction.
- Her style is a bit showy.
- Dag style isn't necessarily slovenly.
- The other style of embroidery is the Banjara style, popularised in Sandur.