Thesaurus for suffer
Definition of suffer
- (v): feel pain or be in pain
- (v): undergo (as of injuries and illnesses); "She suffered a fracture in the accident"; "He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"; "She got a bruise on her leg"; "He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
- (v): feel unwell or uncomfortable; "She is suffering from the hot weather"
- (v): get worse; "His grades suffered"
- (v): be set at a disadvantage; "This author really suffers in translation"
- (v): put up with something or somebody unpleasant; "I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
- (v): endure (emotional pain); "Every time her husband gets drunk, she suffers"
- (v): undergo or be subjected to; "He suffered the penalty"; "Many saints suffered martyrdom"
- (v): undergo or suffer; "meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate"
- (v): feel physical pain; "Were you hurting after the accident?"
- (v): be given to; "She suffers from a tendency to talk too much"