Thesaurus for sustain
Pronunciation of sustain: S AH0 S T EY1 N
Number of syllables of sustain: 2
Pronunciation Video of sustain
Definition of sustain
- (v): undergo (as of injuries and illnesses); "She suffered a fracture in the accident"; "He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"; "She got a bruise on her leg"; "He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
- (v): establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts; "his story confirmed my doubts"; "The evidence supports the defendant"
- (v): admit as valid; "The court sustained the motion"
- (v): supply with necessities and support; "She alone sustained her family"; "The money will sustain our good cause"; "There''s little to earn and many to keep"
- (v): provide with nourishment; "We sustained ourselves on bread and water"; "This kind of food is not nourishing for young children"
- (v): be the physical support of; carry the weight of; "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What''s holding that mirror?"
- (v): lengthen or extend in duration or space; "We sustained the diplomatic negociations as long as possible"; "prolong the treatment of the patient"; "keep up the good work"