Thesaurus for swell
Definition of swell
- (n): a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
- (n): the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
- (n): a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
- (n): a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- (v): expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
- (v): cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
- (v): increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- (v): come up; "Tears well in her eyes"
- (v): become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
- (v): as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things; "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
- (s): very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"