Thesaurus for tell
- state, say, narrate, recount, recite, order, enjoin, assure, evidence, distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell apart, affirm, assert, aver, avow, express, give tongue to, guess, identify, infer, inform, place, request, swan, swear, utter, verbalise, verbalize, verify
- related terms
Pronunciation of tell: T EH1 L (tɛl)
Number of syllables of tell: 1
Pronunciation Video of tell
Definition of tell
- (n): a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son''s head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
- (v): mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- (v): discern or comprehend; "He could tell that she was unhappy"
- (v): give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- (v): let something be known; "Tell them that you will be late"
- (v): narrate or give a detailed account of; "Tell what happened"; "The father told a story to his child"
- (v): give evidence; "he was telling on all his former colleague"
- (v): express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- (v): inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
Examples of tell
- Don't tell me you are too bashful to even show up on the Talk page.
- Anyone can tell that he is pert.
- Why did you tell him the sooth
- The woman should tell the story.
- Please, tell me how to spellbound her.
- I didn't slyly tell you are uninformed.
- Let me tell you my secret.
- Tell me whether you get a twinge.
- Tell the truth and shame the Devil.
- A neurobiologist will tell you green.