Thesaurus for thing
Pronunciation of thing: TH IH1 NG (θɪŋ)
Number of syllables of thing: 1
Pronunciation Video of thing
Definition of thing
- (n): a separate and self-contained entity
- (n): an action; "how could you do such a thing?"
- (n): an artifact; "how does this thing work?"
- (n): an entity that is not named specifically; "I couldn''t tell what the thing was"
- (n): any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence; "the thing I like about her is ..."
- (n): a vaguely specified concern; "several matters to attend to"; "it is none of your affair"; "things are going well"
- (n): a special abstraction; "a thing of the spirit"; "things of the heart"
- (n): a special objective; "the thing is to stay in bounds"
- (n): a statement regarded as an object; "to say the same thing in other terms"; "how can you say such a thing?"
- (n): an event; "a funny thing happened on the way to the..."
- (n): a persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion; "he has a thing about seafood"; "she has a thing about him"
- (n): a special situation; "this thing has got to end"; "it is a remarkable thing"
Examples of thing
- The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as an Aborigine.
- Reality is a froward thing.
- I was observing this lilliputian thing.
- The prudent thing is to go with the consensus until the matter is resolved.
- First, the dependable second starter thing.
- The whole thing seems purposefully farfetched.
- The sticky thing squelched continuously.
- The right thing to do is to calmly and civilly discuss the matter.
- But the thing is the volunteers.
- She ruined the whole thing.