Thesaurus for trip
Pronunciation of trip: T R IH1 P (trɪp)
Number of syllables of trip: 1
Pronunciation Video of trip
Definition of trip
- (n): an unintentional but embarrassing blunder; "he recited the whole poem without a single trip"; "he arranged his robes to avoid a trip-up later"; "confusion caused his unfortunate misstep"
- (n): a light or nimble tread; "he heard the trip of women''s feet overhead"
- (n): a journey for some purpose (usually including the return); "he took a trip to the shopping center"
- (n): a catch mechanism that acts as a switch; "the pressure activates the tripper and releases the water"
- (n): an exciting or stimulting experience
- (n): an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall; "he blamed his slip on the ice"; "the jolt caused many slips and a few spills"
- (n): a hallucinatory experience induced by drugs; "an acid trip"
- (v): get high, stoned, or drugged; "He trips every weekend"
- (v): put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction"; "actuate the circuits"
- (v): make a trip for pleasure
- (v): miss a step and fall or nearly fall; "She stumbled over the tree root"
- (v): cause to stumble; "The questions on the test tripped him up"
Examples of trip
- The trip was long and arduous.
- He packed some goody for his trip.
- I'm packing up for the trip.
- He begins jabbering about his trip.
- Did the mummy exist before the trip
- The trip was for the conciliation.
- He is going on a trip.
- The package trip is optional.
- This trip was fabulous to me.
- The trip was long and unpleasant.