Pronunciation of understand: AH0 N D ER0 S T AE1 N D (,əndər'stænd)
Number of syllables of understand: 3
Definition of understand
- (v): know and comprehend the nature or meaning of; "She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
- (v): perceive (an idea or situation) mentally; "Now I see!"; "I just can''t see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don''t understand the idea"
- (v): believe to be the case; "I understand you have no previous experience?"
- (v): make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
- (v): be understanding of; "You don''t need to explain--I understand!"
Examples of understand
- I don't understand the smug attitude.
- I don't understand the impatience.
- You need to understand the intention of the author to know the signification.
- I understand your dolorous embarrassments.
- Although I don't understand the political mumble jumble, I do know that.
- Learning the nuances helps understand the problem.
- I understand your hesitance.
- But I understand your hesitancy.
- I understand your hesitation.
- I don't understand your sensitiveness.