Thesaurus for understanding
Pronunciation of understanding: AH0 N D ER0 S T AE1 N D IH0 NG
Number of syllables of understanding: 4
Pronunciation Video of understanding
Definition of understanding
- (n): the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- (n): the cognitive condition of someone who understands; "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
- (n): an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his understanding"
- (n): the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises; "they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other''s business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
- (s): characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy; "an understanding friend"