Thesaurus for understanding
Pronunciation of understanding: AH0 N D ER0 S T AE1 N D IH0 NG (,əndər'stændɪŋ)
Number of syllables of understanding: 4
Pronunciation Video of understanding
Definition of understanding
- (n): the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- (n): the cognitive condition of someone who understands; "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
- (n): an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his understanding"
- (n): the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises; "they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other''s business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
- (s): characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy; "an understanding friend"
Examples of understanding
- But does the diagram confound the understanding
- It reflects the subjective understanding of the speakers.
- She was understanding and dutiful wife.
- To broaden the scope of understanding.
- Choosing colours requires geometric understanding of the polyhedron.
- Understanding and moderation is the key.
- This has always been the understanding of Christendom.
- No understanding of the Bible is infallible.
- This is the essence of understanding the paradox.
- That's the understanding the nature of rime.