Pronunciation of voice: V OY1 S (vɔɪs)
Number of syllables of voice: 1
Definition of voice
- (n): a means or agency by which something is expressed or communicated; "the voice of the law"; "the Times is not the voice of New York"; "conservatism has many voices"
- (n): the distinctive quality or pitch or condition of a person''s speech; "A shrill voice sounded behind us"
- (n): the ability to speak; "he lost his voice"
- (n): the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
- (n): expressing in coherent verbal form; "the articulation of my feelings"; "I gave voice to my feelings"
- (n): the sound made by the vibration of vocal folds modified by the resonance of the vocal tract; "a singer takes good care of his voice"; "the giraffe cannot make any vocalizations"
- (n): something suggestive of speech in being a medium of expression; "the wee small voice of conscience"; "the voice of experience"; "he said his voices told him to do it"
- (n): a sound suggestive of a vocal utterance; "the noisy voice of the waterfall"; "the incessant voices of the artillery"
- (n): an advocate who represents someone else''s policy or purpose; "the meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
- (n): (metonymy) a singer; "he wanted to hear trained voices sing it"
- (n): (linguistics) the grammatical relation (active or passive) of the grammatical subject of a verb to the action that the verb denotes
- (v): give voice to; "He voiced his concern"
- (v): utter with vibrating vocal chords
Examples of voice
- During the 1930s, he was the voice of Popeye the Sailor on the radio.
- The voice and the music seemed to be inseparable.
- I just admire her voice.
- You did the voice of Edward in the audio adaption of the book 'Twin Engines'.
- The people had puissant voice.
- The voice in the audio message says hi.
- The voice artists try to match the original voice and preserve the intonation.
- But in terms of the music, we all felt that Yang Peiyi had the flawless voice.
- Her voice is brassy.
- He prefers the guttural voice.