Thesaurus for wait
Definition of wait
- (n): the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something); "the wait was an ordeal for him"
- (n): time during which some action is awaited; "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- (v): look forward to the probable occurrence of; "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
- (v): serve as a waiter in a restaurant; "I''m waiting on tables at Maxim''s"
- (v): stay in one place and anticipate or expect something; "I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
- (v): wait before acting