Thesaurus for withdraw
- withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back, disengage, recall, call in, call back, swallow, take back, unsay, seclude, sequester, sequestrate, adjourn, bow out, draw, take out, draw off, back out, back away, crawfish, crawfish out, pull in one's horns, remove, take, take away, cease, close, close down, close up, discontinue, fatigue, fold, give up, go, insulate, isolate, jade, lay off, let go, let go of, locomote, move, pall, quit, release, relinquish, renounce, repudiate, shut down, stop, tire, travel, weary
- related terms
Definition of withdraw
- (v): remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, taking off, etc. or remove something abstract; "remove a threat"; "remove a wrapper"; "Remove the dirty dishes from the table"; "take the gun from your pocket"; "This machine withdraws heat from the envir
- (v): keep away from others; "He sequestered himself in his study to write a book"
- (v): take back what one has said; "He swallowed his words"
- (v): make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity; "We''ll have to crawfish out from meeting with him"; "He backed out of his earlier promise"; "The aggressive investment company pulled in its horns"
- (v): release from something that holds fast, connects, or entangles; "I want to disengage myself from his influence"; "disengage the gears"
- (v): lose interest; "he retired from life when his wife died"
- (v): pull back or move away or backward; "The enemy withdrew"; "The limo pulled away from the curb"
- (v): remove (a commodity) from (a supply source); "She drew $2,000 from the account"; "The doctors drew medical supplies from the hospital''s emergency bank"
- (v): cause to be returned; "recall the defective auto tires"; "The manufacturer tried to call back the spoilt yoghurt"
- (v): withdraw from active participation; "He retired from chess"
- (v): retire gracefully; "He bowed out when he realized he could no longer handle the demands of the chairmanship"
- (v): break from a meeting or gathering; "We adjourned for lunch"; "The men retired to the library"